Obstacles to Weight Loss (Part II)


Okay, you are cruising along... eating right, adding some exercise, journaling your progress - doing all the right things. Days, weeks, and months go along and your momentum slows. Hmmmm, you think. I'm looking pretty good, feeling pretty good; maybe I can be a little softer on myself. I don't have to be so religious about following every rule.
You are totally open to this disastrous scenario if you haven't taken this preventive action. But what could be missing from this picture? You've been doing all the right things!
If you haven't done this one thing, you will eventually start to spiral out of control.
What Did I Miss?
It is imperative that you set clear, concise, achievable goals. If you don't have these goals in front of you throughout each day - visible and encouraging - you leave yourself open to disappointing yourself, becoming discouraged, and maybe even giving up. Don't set yourself up to fail! It may be an obvious fix, but it's often overlooked or generalized.
How to Set Clear, Concise, Achievable Goals
First, let's use weight loss as an example. This is something that's haunted me for the last 15 years. Generally I decide, "Okay, it's time. I'm going to lose weight." Off I go on a diet plan (or health plan) - off to lose weight.
This is too general and vague. If you jump into your weight loss escapade with a general, vague goal, how will you know when you reach your goal? This practice also leaves you with a multitude of outs to grab onto if you need them.
A better goal than a generic lose weight, is to add details and be specific. For example:
I intend to lose 60 pounds by August 2013 by eating the foods on my list (make sure you have your choices in writing) and exercising three times a week. I will only focus on ten pounds at a time.
In the above example, I set a total weight amount to lose. I set an achievable end date. I reminded myself that I have a list of acceptable foods that will help me to achieve my goal. I agreed to exercise, but I did not agree to an hour every day. Agreeing to something that may be unachievable will tempt me to quit when I miss a day or two. By agreeing to only focus on 10 pounds at a time, I break up the larger goal into smaller chunks. I don't have to tackle all 60 pounds at once - something that would immediately become overwhelming.
Amazing Concept
Funny how losing weight empowers you to lose more - and gaining weight leaves you emotionally vulnerable to gain more. When you find yourself succeeding, you feel good about yourself and become excited and driven to continue the actions that led to this success. In fact, each positive thing you do helps you stay strong.
When you plateau or succumb to indulgences, you feel bad about yourself, get discouraged, and think negative thoughts that punish you. Who would feel good when treated so badly? Give yourself a break. Accept that you have not achieved your next small goal, evaluate what you may be doing that might contribute to this delay; make a change to shake yourself out of a boring routine.
What Am I Looking For?
Take an honest look at your actions. You've undoubtedly developed a few habits - healthy or not. Being aware of yourself is the key to resolving your slump.
1. When you evaluate your habits and behaviors, check to see if you've slacked off on the actual plan:
  • Did you stop measuring or weighing foods?
  • Have you substituted higher calorie foods?
  • Did you reintroduce high-fat condiments?
2. Where have you softened your values? Is there a place you can tighten up on your behaviors for a week?
  • Look at your exercise routine - is it as strong as it was when you started?
  • Keep a workout calendar and mark every time you work out. A simple X on the date is sufficient. Hold yourself accountable by placing that mark.
  • Skipping a session or two may have led to skipping a week. Recommit to following your plan.
Now take action! You have a plan, you evaluated where it wasn't serving you, and you corrected and altered. You are ready for success!
Candace is an Independent Health Coach and is dedicated to providing people who struggle with their weight and health a place to find tips and encouragement. To find out more, visit my website Retrain Mind and Body: http://retrainmindandbody.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment